With a strong emphasis enforced by Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower, companies are often required to obtain certification before they are able to tender for projects. We know what is required for various projects and the shortest process to obtain these certifications.
In general, companies that are accredited with these certificates instill a sense of standard and credibility to their clients and of course adhering to the standards will require the companies to follow the set of rules for the various certificates.
ISO 9001 is the international standard that specifies for a quality management system (QMS). Organizations accredited with this standard demonstrate the ability to consistently provide products and services that need customer and regulatory requirements.
- Greater emphasis on leadership engagement
- Helps address organizational risk and opportunities in a structured manner
- Uses simplified language and a common structure and terms, which are particularly helpful to organizations using multiple management systems, such as those for the environment, health & safety, or business continuity
- Addresses supply chain management more effectively
- Is more user-friendly for service and knowledge-based organizations
ISO 9001:2008 – Companies were provided a 3 year transition phase from Sep 2015 as it will be made invalid after the end of Sep 2018.
ISO 14001 is the international standard that specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system (EMS). It provides a framework that an organization can follow, rather than establishing environmental performance requirements.
- Demonstrate compliance with current and future statutory and regulatory requirements
- Increase leadership involvement and engagement of employees
- Improve company reputation and the confidence of stakeholders through strategic communication
- Achieve strategic business aims by incorporating environmental issues into business management
- Provide a competitive and financial advantage through improved efficiencies and reduced costs
- Encourage better environmental performance of suppliers by integrating them into the organization’s business systems
ISO 45001 is the international standard that specifies requirements for an effective occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system. It provides guidance to managing risks and improve the organizations performance by developing and implementing effective policies and objectives.
- Reduction of workplace incidents
- Reduced absenteeism and staff turnover, leading to increased productivity
- Reduced cost of insurance premiums
- Creation of a health and safety culture, whereby employees are encouraged to take an active role in their own OH&S
- Reinforced leadership commitment to proactively improve OH&S performance
- Ability to meet legal and regulatory requirements
- Enhanced reputation
- Improved staff morale
OHSAS 18001:2007 – Companies that are already certified with OHSAS 18001 may already have some necessary tools and systems in place to implement ISO 45001. Therefore it is recommended that organizations with OHSAS 18001 proceed to obtain ISO 45001 in replacement.
ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001
These ISO are of high-level structure and have identical core text and terms and definitions. With that, organizations especially those in the construction industry have these three ISO accreditation as it is easily obtainable once they have one of the system in place.
With these accreditation alone, it is not enough as it is the minimum standard. Organizations may have measures in place that are of higher standards and only with industrial experience and knowledge can higher standards be set internally to improve their workplace.
Applicants (Company owner, Director, CEO/Top Management, and one who has the responsibilities to carry out safety policy in the company) must attend a 1 day workshop titled “Workshop for CEO/Top Management (bizSAFE Level 1)”
Organization must nominate a Risk Management (RM) champion to attend a bizSAFE course on Risk Management which is usually titled as “Develop a Risk Management Implementation Plan bizSAFE Level 2”. At the end of the course, the RM Champion must chart out the RM implementation plan.
Organization must engage an approved independent auditor to assess the implementation of Risk Management in the enterprise. Upon approval, the enterprise will be recognized as a bizSAFE level 3 enterprise. Organizations who have attained bizSAFE 3 will be able to utilize and showcase the logo on their website and similar platforms as a showcase that it is a bizSAFE 3 organization.
For Level 4, your organization must select a Workplace Safety and Health Management System (WSHMS) Programme Lead to attend the bizSAFE course on WSHMS. In addition, the WSHMS Programme Lead must be able to develop a WSH Implementation Plan for your organization. As a result, your organization may apply for bizSAFE Level 4 status.
Enterprise must engage an independent third party certification company to certify that the WSHMS meets SS506 or similar international standards. With the audit report on those standards, the enterprise must submit an online application to obtain bizSAFE Level Star. There are various ways an organization can obtain bizSAFE star. As mentioned if the organizations meets SS506 or similar international standards, they will be automatically be bizSAFE star equivalent.
Here are a few of such standards:-
- ISO 45001
- SS506 Part 1
- SS506 Part 3
How to apply for bizSAFE 1, 2 and 4
Companies who are looking to attain bizSAFE 1,2 and 4 will have to send an organization representative to attend the respective workshops.
NTUC Learning Hub is the largest continuing education centre in Singapore that conduct these workshops and aside from that they have a whole suite of other services.
Getting accredited with the above certificates can be a tedious process and requires someone with the proper understanding and knowledge. At QE Safety Consultancy, Singapore’s preferred choice for getting certificate accreditation we handle the necessary and attend to all the requirements from the respective certification bodies.
For interested parties, you may fill in the form below and we will contact you shortly. The form is created for the purpose to apply for bizsafe online as well as the other certifications stated.