Project Management and Professionals
QES will provide professionals such as Workplace Safety and Health Officer (WSHO), Workplace Safety and Health Coordinator (WSHC), Confined Space Assessors, Work at Heights Assessor, Environmental Control Officer (ECO), and Fire Safety Manager (FSM).
Click below on the professional you need to find out more information. If you wish to engage one of our professionals, do click on the contact us button below and fill-up the form.
WORKPLACE SAFETY AND HEALTH OFFICER (WSHO)
WSHO conducting site inspection
WORKPLACE SAFETY AND HEALTH COORDINATOR (WSHC)
Generic equipment and document for WSHC
CONFINED SPACE ASSESSOR
Confined space’’ means any chamber, tank, manhole, vat, silo, pit, pipe, flue or other enclosed space, in which —
1. Dangerous gases, vapours or fumes are liable to be present to such an extent as to involve a risk of fire or explosion, or persons being overcome thereby;
2. The supply of air is inadequate, or is likely to be reduced to be inadequate, for sustaining life; or
3. There is a risk of engulfment by material
Before any person enters or works in a confined space, it shall be the duty of his responsible person to appoint a person whom the responsible person reasonably believes is competent to carry out the duties of a confined space safety assessor, as a confined space safety assessor for the confined space and issue a confined space entry permit upon evaluation.
Generic Equipment of Confined Space Assessor
Confined Space Entry Permit
A confined space entry permit has to be issued by the assessor before entry can be allowed and must specify the following:-
Conducting checks on Confined Space
WORK AT HEIGHT ASSESSOR
Ensure that a permit-to-work system in accordance is implemented for work at height.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL OFFICER (ECO)
All qualified Environmental Control Officer (ECO)s are required to register with NEA
Dengue prevention at work site
FIRE SAFETY MANAGER (FSM)
Added Duties for Fire Safety Managers appointed for specified complex premises:
All qualified Fire Safety Manager (FSM)s are required to register with SCDF through
Safety briefing before fire drill
Proper usage of Fire Extinguisher
SENIOR FIRE SAFETY MANAGER
- Their responsibilities are the same but they are required for certain sites.
All Senior Fire Safety Managers is required to attain either of the certificates below
- Diploma in Engineering (Building Services and Fire Safety) – Ngee Ann Polytechnic OR
- Certificate in Senior Fire Safety Manager – Civil Defence Academy
SAFE MANAGEMENT OFFICER (SMO)
DO YOU NEED WSH PROFESSIONALS FAQ?
For a quick reference, we have tabulated the table below. While it is in accordance with the respective regulations, organizations may choose to engage these professionals for peace of mind if they are unsure.
When do I need a WSHO also known as a “Safety Officer”?
1) Shipyards in which any ship, tanker, and other vessels are constructed, reconstructed, repaired, refitted, finished, or broken up.
2) Factories used for processing petroleum or petroleum products.
3) Factories in which building operations or works of engineering construction of a contract sum of $10 million or more are carried out.
4) Any other factories in which 100 or more persons are employed, except those which are used for manufacturing garments.
When do I need a WSHC also known as a “Safety coordinator”?
Worksites, where the contract sum of the building operation or works of engineering construction carried out therein, is less than $10 million.
When do I need a Confined Space Assessor?
Areas that are confined and where it may pose a danger to the employees conducting work
When do I need a Work At Heights Assessor?
Areas where there is work at height activity in the workplace.
When do I need an Environmental Control Officer?
Areas pertaining to environmental health issues the contract sum of your construction project is $10 million or more
– Part-time ECO is required if the contract sum is between $10 to $50 million
– Full-time ECO is required if the contract sum exceeds $50 million or whenever necessary to control the environmental issue
When do I need a Fire Safety Manager?
Public Buildings (inclusive of Commercial Buildings)– is of 9 stories or more (including any basement) in height;
– is used, constructed or adapted to be used as a hospital;
– has a floor area of 5000 square meters or more;
– has an occupant load of 1000 persons or more
– has a floor area or site area of 5000 square meters or more
– has an occupant load of 1,000 persons or more
When do I need a Senior Fire Safety Manager?
Public or Industrial Buildings– has an occupant load of 5,000 persons or more and
(i) that is of 31 stories or more (including any basement) in height;
(ii) that has a gross floor area of 50,000 square meters or more; or
(iii) that has a basement story with a floor area of 10,000 square meters or more; or
– in respect of which fire safety works are carried out according to a plan using an alternative solution, the Commissioner may reasonably determine to be complex.